The hallmark of Canaan Baptist Church is the preaching of God’s eternal Word. One trend in preaching today is to soften the truth of how God expects us to live. The result is that truth is weakened to the point of being just another religious option. At Canaan Baptist, the preaching is an unapologetic declaration of timeless precepts from the Bible coupled with practical applications for daily life. This type of practical preaching may call for change on the part of the hearer. Therefore, at the end of each service we invite individuals to respond to God by making decisions of change that were called for from God’s Word.
Distinctive music is another special aspect of Canaan Baptist Church. After just one service you will realize that our intent is to glorify God to the best of our ability. Our traditional, yet exciting, congregational singing and special music aids each individual’s opportunity to participate in expressing God’s worth to Him. It is a time used to bring glory to God by facilitating corporate, public praise.
Finally, we hold to traditional, biblical, Baptist beliefs. In the past, when people stood up for what they believed, they were said to have character. In today’s society, they are tagged as intolerant, old-fashioned, or out-of-touch. In our drifting society, where families are torn apart and violence is rampant, people need a solid, steady anchor. We believe the time-tested truths, preached with relevance and compassion at Canaan Baptist, offer that anchor of peace and steadfastness people are seeking.
1. We believe the whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, is the verbally inspired Word of God
and divinely preserved in the English language and commonly known as the authorized, King James Version of 1611 A.D. (II Timothy 3:16)
2. We believe Jesus Christ was born of Mary the virgin, and is the very Son of God. (Matthew 1:23)
3. We believe that Christ died for our sins. (I Corinthians 15:3)
4. We believe that He arose from the grave the third day. (I Corinthians 15:4)
5. We believe that He alone is the mediator and intercessor between God and man. (I Timothy 2:5; Hebrews 7:25)
6. We believe that in order to be “saved” the soul must be born again. (John 3:3)
7. We believe that every born again soul should declare his/her faith through baptism by immersion in water. (Romans 6:4-5)
8. We believe that Christ keeps those who are born again eternally secure. (II Timothy 1:12; John 10:28)
9. We believe that Christians are called to separation from worldly, sinful practices, unto a life of usefulness for Christ. (II Corinthians 6:17)
10. We believe a church is a body of baptized believers whose mission is to preach and teach the gospel of salvation. (Matthew 28:18-20)